Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Guess who's got me angry?


Close. In the New York Times yesterday, there was an article about how the new fees proposed by the Dark Lord…I mean…the RIAA and imposed by the Copyright Royalty Board could spell the end of independent streaming radio. This is an issue that I touched lightly upon in my first blog entry, but I would like to elaborate a little bit more.

You see, internet radio stations were already paying homage to the Dark Lord in the form of royalty fees for songs. In fact, they were paying even more than regular stations. A law passed in 1995 states that “companies that transmit music using the Internet, cable or satellite must compensate both” the owners of the recording (the label) as well as the performer – while regular radio stations do not have to pay to use recordings.

As if this wasn’t unfair enough, a new law was recently passed stating that streaming internet radio stations must sacrifice a fee for each performance of a song - where a ‘performance” is considered one song heard by one listener. So these stations will be charged for each and every listener they have. To make matters worse, these fees are being charged retroactively back to the beginning of 2006! The Dark Lord is truly cunning.



Why do I care so much about this? Well, for starters, I’m a DJ for Denison University’s radio station – and we are streaming online at www.wdub.org (shameless plug). I am fairly certain that these new fees would cause us to lose our streaming capabilities (which we’ve only just had for a few years). But moreover, I enjoy being able to listen to streaming radio. It is a great way to discover some new music, rather than spinning through your same music collection over and over again.

It makes me really angry that there are a bunch of greedy old fogies out there attempting to control a technology that they don’t even understand! This is a direct quote from the New York Times: “At one point in the proceedings, according to the transcript, one member asked if the term “albums” could refer to CDs as well as vinyl records.” These are the coots who claim that they know what is best for the industry! Clearly these guys are in touch with the pulse of the future. They are obviously the ones who should be directing how new technologies are used.

So the moral of the story is: contact your representatives, senators and various overlords. Tell them to save internet radio. Boycott the RIAA. And be sure to tune into “Punks n’ Paddies” on Saturday nights 11:30pm-2:00am for a blend of Celtic and Punk rock that’s sure to get your freak flag waving (yep, another shameless plug).

Labels: , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a conversation with someone the other day who said that the way music is being produced and consumed today, you couldn't even use the word "album" for a lot of it. Oh, and fuck the RIAA!
-Elia

March 21, 2007 at 11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

right on!

March 21, 2007 at 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch for posting this, Amber. I ended up going to that link and then calling my representative and emailing my senator from back home. I already boycott the RIAA because I'm too poor to buy music and too busy to find it on tv/online. It's so wrong what they're doing and so indicative of the world at large today. It's disgusting.

March 21, 2007 at 1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post! Very informative.

March 21, 2007 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Bloody Bonnie said...

Way to go Amanda! You other slackers should do the same!

March 21, 2007 at 2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, we're not all FunEmployed like...ahem...some people are. Just kidding. Will do.

March 21, 2007 at 2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The choice is simple. Stop playing music that falls under the RIAA's authority. It's pretty shitty music anyway.

March 22, 2007 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Bloody Bonnie said...

It's not quite that simple. A LOT of music falls under RIAA's authority. For example, I have a format for my show - celtic punk. My choice of music is somewhat limited. If I want to fill up the 2.5 hours of my show, and not repeat the same bands over and over again, I need to play some music that has copyrights.

Your "solution" places an unfair burden on the radio station, and is just as much of a dificulty on the station as the fees are.

That being said, I do love royalty free and creative commons music.

March 22, 2007 at 11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sucks! And I still want a taco!

March 22, 2007 at 7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your obsession with pirates clearly reflects your philosophy of the internet, music consumption, and maybe even art in general. I love your blog. It is so smart.

March 23, 2007 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Amy Royse Brown said...

I know this is random but I have a music by a band called Shilleleigh Law. They are awesome and play punk rock celtic etc. They are from my hometown. I will burn a copy of the CD and put it in your mailbox.

-Amy Royse

March 27, 2007 at 10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read that post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

November 17, 2009 at 4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what, try GPS blocker to disable all secret devices in your home or at work.

January 21, 2010 at 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home